« Return to 2018 May Year in Review 2017 Issue Index
2017 Annual Review: Corporate Social Responsibility Comes Into Its Own
LAWPRO’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) experience has grown with our business. Our wellness, outreach, and charitable programs are evolving organically, driven by employee interest and engagement. Simply put, our CSR program is a natural and self-sustaining part of our corporate culture and identity. The following article highlights our activities in 2017.
Fostering the legal profession and access to justice
• LAWPRO encourages employee involvement in a wide range of professional associations and groups that represent diverse segments of the legal profession. These activities help us gain insight into members’ priorities and concerns and allow us to highlight how LAWPRO’s efforts and activities are supporting
• In 2017, LAWPRO supported the development of entrants to the profession by making presentations to the French language common law program at the University of Ottawa, the English language Law Practice Program (LPP) at Ryerson University, and the French language LPP at the University of Ottawa; and by making presentations to students in the Law Clerk/Legal Assistant programs at Durham College and Georgian College.
Promoting wellness and balance
• LAWPRO promotes well-being by providing approximately one-half of the funding for the operation by Homewood Human Solutions of the Law Society’s arm’s-length Member Assistance Program (MAP). LAWPRO promoted the program and services in presentations, print publications, online and through social media.
• In November 2017, LAWPRO’s Human Resources Department offered its annual flu shot clinic for employees.
• Green & Wellness Committee programming in 2017 included a healthy potluck lunch (in cooperation with the Social Committee), two Wednesday Wellness Walks, and a presentation on common health myths from a Holistic Nutritionist.
Supporting the broader Canadian community
• LAWPRO hosted a breakfast meeting at Queen’s Park on September 28 to launch a series of public-facing webpages with information about consumer issues in real estate, legal and financial literacy. A collection of brochures was developed to promote the online information. Over 50 cabinet ministers, MPPs and key government staff attended the launch.
• Each year, LAWPRO staff nominates charities for inclusion in the company’s Denim Friday charitable giving program and staff vote on the nominees. Employee donations are matched by the Company. LAWPRO raised a total $31,300 for its five chosen recipient charities in 2017, up from $29,963 the previous
year. Donations of $6,260 went to each of Fanconi Canada, Ovarian Cancer Canada, the Toronto Humane Society, the Good Shepherd Refuge Social Ministries, and the Equality Effect.
• LAWPRO encourages employees to take a paid day off each year to volunteer their services in support of an eligible charity. In 2017, employees donated 15 days in support of their chosen charities. Charities that benefited from help by LAWPRO staff included Bruce Trail Conservancy, International Justice Mission, Toronto Star Santa Claus Fund, and the Daily Bread Food Bank.
• LAWPRO sponsored Lawyers Feed the Hungry Bowl-a-Thon team and Billiards with the Bar events, which helped raise the funds to serve meals.
• Participating in fundraisers for Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter, the Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund and the Women in Insurance Cancer Crusade Relay for Life were opportunities LAWPRO seized with enthusiasm.