Making intentions real – LAWPRO Corporate Social Responsibility commitment
The LAWPRO Corporate Social Responsibility Statement is informed by a spirit of community and accountability. Our 2014 efforts to bring it to life are outlined here.
Fostering the legal community and access to justice
- LAwPRO sponsored the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP) crime prevention campaign, which provided the opportunity to promote the role of the lawyer as part of the OACP campaign theme of “protecting your assets”.
- LAwPRO staff participated in a number of charitable events throughout the year that have significant support from the bar and/or focus on various justice-related issues. In 2014, these events included fundraisers for International Justice Mission, Ernestine’s Shelter, and LEAF (the women’s Legal Education and Action Fund).
- The third annual award of the Caron wishart Memorial Scholarship, sponsored by LAwPRO, was presented to University of Toronto Faculty of Law student, Evan Rankin.
Supporting the broader Canadian community
- In 2014 LAwPRO staff-led events and denim Friday contributions resulted in a total of $26,025 for its five chosen recipient charities: Toronto Children’s Breakfast Club, Anaphylaxis Canada, Fanconi Canada, Good Shepherd Ministries, and Toronto Humane Society.
- Employees donated 24 days in support of their chosen charities. Charities that benefited from help from LAwPRO staff included Habitat for Humanity, The Equality Effect (e2), the Canadian Cancer Society, and the Daily Bread Food Bank.
- This year, other staff-led charitable initiatives included:
◉ Donation of lasagna, shepherd’s pie, and cash to the Good Shepherd Homeless Shelter – 328 dishes donated;
◉ Collection of canned goods for the Daily Bread Food Bank; and
◉ Sale of daffodil pins in support of cancer research.
Providing a healthy and rewarding workplace
- Employees participated in various healthy activities including rock climbing and skating at a local rink. Also, lunchtime presentations such as “living well with stress” and “boosting your positive outlook” are organized to help employees live balanced lives.
- In memory of former employee Carla Falkeisen who passed away in 2014, members of LAwPRO staff raised money for and attended a ceremony to unveil a tree-planting project at a children’s summer camp near Barrie, Ontario.
Respecting the environment
- Efforts to use less paper are ongoing. In 2014, LAwPRO used 7 per cent less paper than it did in 2013. The company also recycled previously-purchased paper by having obsolete letterhead recycled as scratch pads for staff use.
- The LAwPRO Green Committee continued its activities in 2014. For Earth Day, employees were invited to repot office plants suitable for low-light environments. In the summer, the committee held a raffle for a basket of environmentally friendly sunscreens, and in winter they collected warm clothing for a youth shelter.