Domestic Contract Matter Toolkit
Domestic contracts are complex documents that deal with complicated issues involving emotional clients. The dangers are real and there are many places that errors can occur. The good news is that the risks involved in handling domestic contract matters can be greatly reduced. This toolkit is designed to help Ontario lawyers proactively take steps to reduce their exposure to claims when they are working on domestic contract matters.
The checklists and forms in the Domestic Contract Matter Toolkit contain points and questions lawyers should systematically consider as they conduct the initial interview on a domestic contract matter and when they meet with the client to review and sign the document.
Following the steps listed in the checklists and forms will make sure nothing is missed, and just as importantly, that there is a paper trail documenting the work that was done and the communications that occurred at the two most critical stages of a domestic contract matter: the initial intake meeting and the review and signing of the agreement. That paper trail can be invaluable in the event a client sues you for malpractice.
LAWPRO’s Domestic Contract Matter Toolkit (Download PDF) (Télécharger PDF) provides advice, forms and checklists that lawyers and law firms can use to lessen the risk of a claim. You can also download individual documents from the Toolkit:
- Domestic Contract Matter Intake Form: This form systematically walks you through all the information you need to gather to prepare a domestic contract. (Download PDF) (Download Word) (Télécharger PDF)
- Domestic Contract Matter Intake Checklist: This checklist lists the steps and issues that need to be considered at the intake stage. (Download PDF) (Download Word) (Télécharger PDF)
- Post-Meeting Client Assignment Sheet: This sheet gives the client a list of the information that they will need to collect after the initial meeting. (Download PDF) (Download Word) (Télécharger PDF)
- Domestic Contract Review & Signing Checklist: This checklist lists the steps and issues that need to be considered when a client comes in to review and sign a domestic contract. (Download PDF) (Download Word) (Télécharger PDF)
- Children of Marriage form: This form will help you collect the required information on the children of the marriage. (Download PDF) (Download Word) (Télécharger PDF)