Volunteering in Your Neighbourhood
VOLUNTEERING IN YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD
Have you ever considered volunteer work? Studies conducted by Volunteer Canada show that volunteer work is an important determinant of life satisfaction among adults. Here are some reasons to volunteer:
- contribute to your health, vitality, self-esteem and longevity;
- feel good about yourself and feel needed;
- develop new skills, especially skills that are not always learned and practiced in formal education or training, such as "soft skills";
- share your knowledge and expertise with others; and
- reach out and show your clients and colleagues that you care and are giving back to the community.
Opportunities for Volunteering
Depending on what area of the province you live in, your community will offer different opportunities to volunteer. One place to start looking is in your neighbourhood hospital, school or place of worship.
Here is a partial listing of organizations that seek volunteers and some online resources that list volunteer opportunities and can match you with a specific region and area of interest:
- Charity Village (www.charityvillage.com)
This site includes news, jobs, information and resources for executives, staffers, donors, and volunteers.
- go volunteer (www.govolunteer.ca)
govolunteer's online database uses the power of the Internet and allows you to search for volunteer opportunities. Finding volunteer work that suits your interests, skills and schedule is easier than ever!
- Lawyers Feed the Hungry (www.lawyersfeedthehungry.ca)
The Lawyers Feed the Hungry program, is part of the LSUC Foundation and provides meals to Toronto's homeless three times per week. Volunteers help in the preparation and serving of meals. Volunteer times are listed on the LSUC Web site under the Foundation information.
- Volunteer Canada (www.volunteer.ca)
Volunteer Canada promotes volunteerism nationally and lists various opportunities to volunteer in ongoing volunteer programs and special projects of interest.
- Volunteer Centre of Toronto (www.volunteertoronto.ca)
This site contains a list of various links to volunteer opportunities in and around the city of Toronto.