You are what you eat! One way to assure a healthy lifestyle is to make informed choices regarding the foods you eat. Health Canada offers the following basic guidelines for healthy eating:
- emphasize cereals, breads, other grain products, vegetables and fruit;
- choose lower-fat dairy products, leaner meats and food prepared with little or no fat;
- achieve and maintain a healthy body weight by enjoying regular physical activity and healthy eating; and
- limit salt, alcohol and caffeine.
How Fit is Your Diet?
The following sites offer interactive self-assessments and fact sheets that can help you with meal planning and boost your knowledge on healthy eating.
Here is a partial listing of other online nutritional resources that can assist you in reaching your dietary goals.
- Dial-a-Dietician (www.dialadietitian.org)
Dial-a-Dietitian Nutrition Information Society of B.C. is a telephone nutrition information service that provides nutrition advice, specific diet guidelines and resource sharing.
- Health Canada (www.hc-sc.gc.ca)
Health Canada is the federal department responsible for helping the people of Canada maintain and improve their health.